Coffee BBQ Sauce
It’s backyard-grilling season and coffee is the unique ingredient in this smoky BBQ sauce created by our friends at The Fuel House in Toronto. Try it on ribs, chicken thighs or even add it to baked beans. You will be surprised by how much depth and flavour can be found in this homemade sauce.
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cayenne
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ground Bold & Fruity coffee (Colombian Dark )
- 4 ounces (120 ml) Jack Daniels
- 2 cups (500 ml) vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
- 4 cups (1 l) ketchup
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) molasses
- Heat your vegetable oil in a large pan and add onion. Cook until translucent then add garlic, simmer for a few minutes until the garlic is aromatic.
- Add brown sugar, pepper, cayenne, paprika, salt and coffee, cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes, then add the Jack Daniels, vinegar and wine.
- After another 5 minutes add ketchup and molasses and simmer for 4 hours for a perfect smoky and flavourful BBQ sauce.
- Refrigerate for up to one week.