We believe that your personal information deserves protection. While you can visit vanhoutte.com without registering or providing any personal information, you will need to register to make a purchase or take full advantage of some of the site's features. Any personal information requested is necessary to process your shopping order or fulfill requests that you have emailed to us. Personal information, including names and email addresses, is not collected unless you provide it to us.
Your right to confidentiality is respected at all times, whether you visit our sites for information or entertainment or use our services to send messages, shop and make transactions.
Personally identifying information that you provide to vanhoutte.com sites will not be made available to third parties outside of vanhoutte.com without your explicit permission.
Vanhoutte.com collects “personally identifying information” about you only when you specifically and knowingly provide it to us. Your personally identifying information will be used to personalize your experience with vanhoutte.com Web sites or for such other purposes as are described at any point where vanhoutte.com collects this information from you.
Vanhoutte.com may make aggregate information about our customers (e.g. overall statistics) available to third parties for advertising and other purposes. Information that personally identifies you will be kept strictly confidential.
What is personally identifying Information?
“Personally identifying information” is information that can be explicitly used to identify and/or contact you as an individual. This includes information like your real name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, credit card number, etc. Information that, by itself, cannot be explicitly linked with your “real” identity is not considered personally identifying. Examples of this are favorite or bookmarked Web sites, your preferences with respect to how you wish to see a given page or site set-up according to the selections you choose.
On occasion, vanhoutte.com may ask you for personal information such as your name or address. We do this when you register for shopping, contests, promotions or services that require registration or subscription. Vanhoutte.com needs this information to fulfill orders, prizes and to track/verify compliance with vanhoutte.com policies. It may also be needed for purposes of compliance with federal, provincial/state and local laws and/or for editorial and feedback solicitation purposes. This allows you to decide whether or not you want to give us the information.
Collection of information
In addition, where appropriate, specific authorizations or consents may be obtained from time to time. For example, we may seek consent to use and share personal information after it has been collected in those cases where Van Houtte wishes to use the information for a purpose not previously identified or for which the individual concerned has not previously provided consent.
In most cases, and subject to legal and contractual restrictions, an individual is free to refuse or withdraw his or her consent at any time upon reasonable, advance notice. It should be noted that in some circumstances, certain Van Houtte products and services can only be offered if a person provides personal information to Van Houtte. If you choose not provide us with any required personal information, we may not be able to offer the products or services requested. We will inform you of the consequences of the withdrawal of consent.
What type of information does Van Houtte collect?
Personal Information means information that can be used to identify an individual and includes:
- Name, address, phone number, e-mail address, birth date;
- Financial information, such as credit card number;
- Employment-related information, such as may be found on résumés, applications, background verification information, or in employment references.
Van Houtte will never share your personal information with any Third Party business organization that intends to use it for direct marketing purposes unless you have given us specific permission to do this.
For Van Houtte's policy on:
(i) direct marketing by e-mail;
(ii) your right to ask Van Houtte at any time NOT to contact you by way of direct e-mail marketing; and
(iii) also your right to delete your personal information from our systems.
Who does Van Houtte disclose your personal information to and why?
Van Houtte may share your personal information with other companies within Van Houtte Inc. companies. Van Houtte may also share your personal information with Third Parties, but only in the strictly limited circumstances set out below:
- We may supply your personal information to Third Parties (such as our internet service providers) who help us administer this website. Some of these business partners may be located outside the country where you accessed this website. Our main service provider for web hosting is in Canada. These Third Parties must at all times provide the same levels of security for your personal information as Van Houtte and, where required, are bound by a legal agreement to keep your personal information private, secure and to process it only on the specific instructions of Van Houtte.
- We may also supply your personal information to government bodies and law enforcement agencies if: we are required to do so by the requirements of any applicable law; or if in our good faith judgment, such action is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process; to respond to any legal claims or actions; or to protect the rights of Van Houtte Inc. or its customers and the public.
- We may, in a few limited circumstances, supply your personal information to potential acquirers of any relevant Van Houtte business but provided that (i) we have contractually ensured that this information is kept private and secure; and (ii) that when supplying this personal information Van Houtte complies with the applicable local laws.
How does Van Houtte use personal information?
Van Houtte may use personal information provided orally or in writing (including via electronic media) by customers in order to:
- Process and manage your purchase of Van Houtte products and services;
- Respond to your customer service inquiries, post your comments or statements on any blog or other online forum maintained on the Site, or take other actions in response to your inquiries or other online activities;
- Create personalized promotions by combining your personal information with non personal information about you, such as the amounts and types of purchases you make or any benefits you receive through Van Houtte programs.
- Communicate with you about your order or purchase, your Van Houtte account, your Van Houtte.com account, a contest or sweepstakes you have entered, a request for more information or your blog or any online forum posting;
- Communicate with you about specific jobs, job opportunities or general information about employment at Van Houtte, in the event you have created a personal profile or submitted your résumé online; and
- Communicate with you about our brands, products, events or other promotional purposes, including co-branded offers, if you have opted to receive such communications either by providing us with your email address on the home page of Van Houtte.com or by selecting communication preferences when you signed up for a Van Houtte.com account or or joined any Van Houtte program. You can opt-out of receiving marketing information at any time by changing the settings of your communication preferences, by following the unsubscribe links on any marketing sent to you, or by calling our Customer Service department toll free 1-800-361-5628 from Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm (Eastern).
Is my personal information shared with third parties?
We may arrange to have other companies’ marketing and promotions sent to you, but only if you have indicated in your communication preferences that you are interested in such communications.
We may also share information with companies that provide support services to us (such as credit card processors, mailing houses or web hosts), that help us market our products and services (such as email vendors) or our strategic partners. These companies may need information about you in order to perform their functions. These companies are not authorized to use the information we share with them for any other purpose.
We may disclose specific information upon governmental request, in response to a court order, when required by law, to enforce our corporate policies, or to protect our or others’ rights, property or safety. We do not provide information to these agencies or companies for marketing or commercial purposes.
Also, if you participate in any blog or other online forum on our Site, any personal information that you post on the website may be shared with other participants in the forum. In any of these situations, the recipient of the personal information may be located in Canada, the United States or another jurisdiction that may not provide an equivalent level of data protection to the laws in your home country.
In the event of a sale of some or all of our business, Van Houtte may disclose personal information to those involved in a transfer of all or part of the assets or business. If such an event were to occur, Van Houtte would strive to ensure that the recipient treat your personal information as described in this policy.
Business contact information (e.g. office address, telephone number) is not considered personal information in certain jurisdictions.
Van Houtte may also collect aggregated data, which is data from which the identity of an individual cannot be determined.
Why does Van Houtte collect website user information?
During your visit to Van Houtte.com, we will collect certain website use information for a number of purposes, namely to:
- Make your access and shopping more convenient and efficient;
- Establish Site activity trends;
- Monitor Site performance; and
- Improve Site design and functionality.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings. If you turn cookies off, you won’t have access to many features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
We also use pixel tags – tiny graphic images – to help us analyze your online behavior, but we do not tie that behavior to any personal information.
How is my personal information secured?
Van Houtte strives to maintain appropriate physical, technical and administrative security with respect to its offices and information systems so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of personal information.
We encrypt the pipe through which personal information, such as credit card numbers, is sent, using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to ensure that your information is safe as it is sent over the Internet to our server. For more information about credit card security, please read our Frequently Asked Questions. While we strive to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Access and accuracy of information
If you want to review, correct or change personal information that you have previously provided to us, please go to the My Account section of the site and follow the instructions or click the links provided in our transmissions to you.
Should you no longer wish to receive promotional emails or newsletters from us, simply follow the “unsubscribe” instructions in the specific e-mail that you no longer wish to receive or visit the My Account section of the site and follow the appropriate instructions. We will respond to requests made pursuant to these methods as promptly as possible.
Other information collected about visitors to our site
We continually seek to maintain the integrity of, and make improvements to, the site. As part of these efforts, we collect and analyze certain information about how visitors use the site. When you visit our site, we may collect various types of technical data which we maintain in both aggregate and personally identifiable forms. This data includes, but is not limited to, domain and/or Web browser information. We may track which Web site you visited before arriving at our site and the Web site you link to when you leave our site. We may also keep a record of which pages of the site you visit and the length of time you spend on each page.
E-marketing - What is spamming and what is Van Houtte's position on spam e-mails?
Spamming is where unsolicited e-mails are sent to you containing advertisements or marketing related materials without your consent.
Van Houtte does NOT send spam e-mails. Van Houtte itself uses an anti-spam tool to protect our employees from spamming. Sending e-mails without consent is illegal in many countries. Van Houtte will not use your personal information (including your e-mail address) for direct marketing unless you give us your EXPRESS permission. This is called “opt-in” consent.
Also, Van Houtte does not share your personal information with any Third Party (non-Van Houtte Inc.) companies who will use your personal information for spam mails.
Van Houtte websites give you the opportunity to receive marketing information by e-mail. Every e-mail sent by Van Houtte will give you the opportunity at any time to stop receiving marketing e-mails.
If for some reason you believe you have received spam e-mail from a Van Houtte Inc. company, please contact us by email or by calling our Customer Service department from Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm (Eastern).
When appropriate, Individuals are given the opportunity to: (i) opt-out of receiving communications from Van Houtte, (ii) remove their personal information from Van Houtte's records, or (iii) elect to no longer receive services from Van Houtte. If an Individual wishes to opt-out of receiving further communications, please contact us by email or by calling our Customer Service department from Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm (Eastern).
Internet protocol addresses
Your Internet protocol (or IP) address indicates the physical location of your computer on the Internet. We use your IP address to help administer our Web site. Your IP address is used to help identify you and to gather broad demographic information in the interest of improving our site and service.
We take reasonable precautions to safeguard information transmitted between visitors and the site and information stored on our servers. We use Secured Socket Layers (SSL) encryption for the transmission of data to our servers during member login and order checkout. Despite these efforts, however, we may be unable to prevent and shall not be responsible for unauthorized access to such information by third parties.
Minors and children
This website is for a general public, it is not intended to collect information from children under the age of 13. To comply with the COPPA Agreement (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act), Van Houtte demands that parents supervise their children while online. Children under the age of 13 should not provide personal information on the Van Houtte Web site. Other minors should not post any information without parental consent.
Updates to the policy
We are always looking for ways to improve our site's features and services and to improve the way we communicate our information practices. As a result, this statement is updated from time to time. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on privacy practices at www.vanhoutte.com.