Coffee in Northern Africa dates back to the 1500s. Our coffee and chicken tagine recipe brings that history to life – heartily. Made with Van Houtte® Kenya coffee, this deliciously decadent dish harmonizes the flavours of the Maghreb with your favourite brew.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice into strips. With the tip of a knife, score the chicken legs and stuff the garlic strips in the slits.
- Season the legs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown each side of the chicken in 3 tbsp. of olive oil for about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and place at the bottom of a large tagine.
- In a small skillet, dry-toast the cumin seeds and cloves. Place the seeds in a mortar and pound them*. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, brown the onion, the shallot and dried fruit in 2 tbsp. of olive oil until soft. Place in the tagine.
- Add the ground-toasted cumin, cinnamon stick, coriander, coffee, ginger, honey and chicken broth. Cover and cook in the oven for 1½ hours. 30 min before the end of cooking, add chickpeas.
- Serve the tagine directly on the table, alongside a large dish of couscous. Top with fresh coriander and enjoy!
*If you don’t have a mortar, you can use ground spices.
The secret spice in our coffee and chicken tagine recipe? Van Houtte® Kenya coffee. Find yours online or in-store.