It’s such a special dessert and yet so easy to make, crème brûlée always impresses. We honour its European origins by adding a touch of espresso to this classic recipe where the full-bodied flavour of coffee perfectly balances the sweetness of the custard. You might want to serve dessert first!
- Preheat oven to 300º F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, milk, maple syrup and brewed espresso.
- Heat over medium heat, 3-6 minutes, or until warm (do not let boil). Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs and egg yolks.
- Gradually stir beaten eggs into heated mixture, mixing well.
- Return to medium heat for 3 more minutes, stirring constantly. Pour through a sieve.
- Pour mixture into eight 6 oz. custard cups. Place cups in a shallow oven-safe dish.
- Fill the dish with water half way up the cups.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until custard is well set in the middle.
- Remove custard cups from dish and let stand 1 hour.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly on surface of each custard cup.
- If you own a culinary torch or a crème brûlée iron, use to carefully brown the sugar. If not, place cups under broiler for 2-3 minutes or until sugar begins to melt. Be careful not to burn.