Boxing Day morning just took on new meaning with these babies. Fuel your shopping expedition with a couple of these to-go! The hint of coffee in the dough opens the way to the powerful coffee goodness of the icing, made with three simple ingredients: sugar, water and coffee. Yes, please.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Combine milk and Van Houtte® instant coffee in a small bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes with an electric mixer. Add egg and continue beating for 1 minute. Add milk to coffee and blend in dry ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for a few hours (up to 12 hours).
- Heat oil in fryer to 350°F.
- Divide dough in half and refrigerate one portion.
- Roll out dough to ¼ in. thickness. Cut out donuts using a cookie cutter 3 in. in diameter and the holes using a cookie cutter 1 in. in diameter, or using a small glass and a thimble. Flour generously.
- Form dough remnants into a ball, roll out again, and cut out more donuts. Repeat until dough becomes too thick. Set donuts aside in freezer during preparation.
- Fry donuts, 4 at a time, for about 1 minute per side or until golden.
- Place on paper towel and let cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix icing sugar with dissolved coffee until smooth. Add a little water if needed.
- Dip donuts in glaze and place on a wire rack.