Hot summer days are always jam packed with exciting activities. Our coffee-infused ice cream sandwiches are the perfect thing to keep you going. Sandwiched between two freshly baked honey nut cookies, our French Roast coffee flavoured homemade ice cream is the refreshing treat you deserve. Best of all, you won’t have to choose between after-dinner coffee and dessert!
Coffee ice cream
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolks and sugar. Mix using an electric beater for 5 minutes.
- In a medium pot, heat the milk and cream. When the mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of hot milk and cream onto the egg and sugar mixture. Use a whisk to mix the ingredients as you pour.
- When the ingredients are well frothed, pour them slowly into the pot containing the remaining milk and cream. Use a whisk to mix the ingredients as you pour.
- Heat the mixture over medium-low heat and stir continuously until it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a separate bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure that the plastic wrap touches the mixture. Place in the refrigerator until completely chilled, or overnight.
- Pour the cold mixture into an ice cream machine. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for mixing time.
- Once complete, place in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours.
Honey nut cookies
- Using a dry, large skillet, roast the nuts over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are slightly golden (approx. 1 to 2 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl and beat the mixture with a whisk, approx. 2 minutes. Add the honey and egg, and continue whisking until everything is well blended.
- In the same bowl and using a sifter, add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the crushed nuts and dark chocolate chips (optional).
- Using a tablespoon measure, form dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies’ edges are slightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, place a spoonfull of French Roast coffee flavoured ice cream in the center of the cookie and place a second one on top to form an ice cream sandwich. Repeat this process with the remaining ice cream and cookies.
- Serve immediately, or individually wrap the sandwiches in plastic wrap and place them in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.