This pâté is simply perfection served with crusty bread, crispy little pickles and a dollop of hot mustard, either as an appetizer or as a part of a holiday buffet meal. Our version of the French classic has been taken up a notch thanks to a hint of coffee—it adds a heartiness and nuttiness that give a whole new dimension to the melt-in-your-mouth duck.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt duck fat in a large casserole dish over medium heat.
- Place all remaining ingredients in casserole dish, cover, and place in oven.
- Bake for 2 hours 30 minutes or until meat falls off the bone.
- Let cool to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Remove meat from cooking fat, then strain liquid and set aside. Set aside ½ cup of duck fat for rillettes topping.
- Debone duck meat and remove skin.
- In a large bowl, shred meat with a fork.
- Pour fat over meat while stirring. Mixture will blanch slightly.
- Portion out into pretty jars or ramekins and top with reserved duck fat.
* Duck can be replaced with a 2 lb. pork shoulder or picnic shoulder roast.