This August, take advantage of seasonal tomatoes and add a little French twist to the menu with our tomato coffee tart. Infused with Honduras San Luis Planes coffee, it’s the perfect afternoon snack. The light and fluffy goodness of the pastry also make it the ideal side-dish for any meal!
- Preheat oven to 425°F/210°F
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Using a butter knife, remove the liquid and seeds from each tomato.
- In a 10-inch diameter pan, combine and melt butter and sugar over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Once dissolved, add balsamic vinegar and brewed Honduras San Luis coffee.
- Place the tomato halves in the skillet, cut side up. Allow them to cook 10 minutes, or until the liquid in the skillet is very thick.
- Place the puff pastry on top of the tomatoes and fold the edges inwards.
- Place the skillet on the lower rack of the oven and lower the temperature to 375°F/190°F
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown
- Remove from heat and set aside 5 minutes to cool.
- To remove the tart from the skillet, run a knife along the edge of the cooked tart, place a large plate upside down over the skillet, and flip.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves, fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy!