What’s behind this blueberry coffee cake recipe’s delicious depth of flavour?
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Butter and flour a 9-inch diameter pan.
- 3 In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4 In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- 5 Add the egg and mix well.
- 6 In a measuring cup, combine buttermilk and vanilla.
- 7 At low speed, add the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk until combined.
- 8 Pour mixture into the prepared pan and level the top using a spatula.
- 9 Spread the blueberries on top of the cake and sprinkle with turbinado sugar and coffee.
- 10 Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes on a rack.
- 11 Unmold and serve with whipped cream.