- 1 In a large pot, sauté the vegetables on medium heat in olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- 2 Add the garlic, spices, turmeric and ginger, and continue cooking over medium-low heat for a few minutes.
- 3 Add the lentils, rice, broth and coffee, and bring to a boil.
- 4 Season with salt and pepper.
- 5 Simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- 6 Add the chickpeas and heat....
- 7 Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 8 oz. container of mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup of red lentils, rinsed in cold water
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. of freshly grated turmeric* OR 2 tsp. of powdered turmeric
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp. of Van Houtte® Original House Blend Ground Coffee
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or chicken)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 19 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* Caution: Turmeric stains surfaces.
Lime juice and fresh cilantro