- 1 Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 2 Strain cooking juice through a sieve and reduce by half to get about 3 cups of liquid.
- 3 Remove veal cubes from sieve and set aside in a bowl. Discard vegetable chunks.
- 4 Blanch mushrooms and onions directly in cooking juice for 10 minutes. Put veal cubes back in cooking juice.
- 5 In a small bowl, dilute cornstarch in cold water. Pour into boiling cooking juice and mix with a fork. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- 6 In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and cream and pour in a little of the hot sauce to warm up mixture. Stir mixture directly into sauce and cook for 2 minutes with-out bringing to a boil.
- 7 Serve immediately with rice pilaf and a green vegetable.
- 2 lb. (1 kg) veal shoulder cubes
- 1 onion, halved and studded with a clove
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 celery stalk, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. (2 ml) dried thyme
- ½ tsp. (2 ml) dried sage
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup (8 oz) of Van Houtte® Espresso Superiore, brewed
- 1 package (8 oz./227 g) white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 package (10 oz./284 g) small pearl onions
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup 35% cream